Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Comic Relief for a change
Aug 1, 2002

Hi Doc,

Dont laugh too hard over this scenario. About 5 weeks ago I went fishing with some friends. One of my friends was holding a fish that has prickly spine and he then threw it down on the boat floor. About a minute later I picked up the fish and one of its spines pricked me (very small), went thru my skin. Should i get tested? First, i do not know the hiv status of my friend, second, i do not know if he even got pricked by the fish, third, even if he did get pricked, the chances we got pricked by the same spine of the fish!? Also, if you think i should get tested,is it better if i take the P24 Antigen test as opposed to the ELISA because the P24 can detect antibodies in 16 days after exposure.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

This story sounds a bit fishy to me. The chances of your contracting HIV from that scenario are about the same as hooking Moby Dick on your line the next time you go fishing.

P24 or ELISA? Neither. Relax. Go fishing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Procrit drug interactions and re-infection
Next
CAN'T SLEEP- I am going crazy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.