accuracy and thanx doc.

DEAR DOCTOR:

I like the way you answer the questions people ask you in this section, you seem very outgoing and a cool guy. Well my question is are the HIV antibody tests accurate at 3 months 12 weeks and is it still accurate after 11 weeks ONE week befor 3 months? thanx doc.

Thanks for your kind words. There is nothing magical about 12 weeks. We just had to draw the line somewhere. Is a negative test at 11 weeks still accurate? Well, it's certainly very good news, highly encouraging, and most likely quite accurate as well. However, why not wait the extra 7 days and get the 3-month test? If I say your 11-week test is accurate, then tomorrow someone will write in and ask me if 10 weeks and 6 days is accurate. And then the next day, another question for 10 weeks and 5 days, and then . . . . Well, you get the picture. So for now, let's stick with 3 months as a cutoff, OK?

Question about anemia and sickle cell disease
immunology