The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV test for me
Jul 30, 2002


I have an important question.

(1) I have abstained from sex (virgin), (2) I have never used drugs/needles, and (3) Never received a blood transfusion.

However, in 1997 I had a wisdom tooth extraction--(The dentist was wearing goggles and gloves)

Well, its 2002 and I seem to have AIDS like symptoms. Symptoms include: white growth on tongue/sides of tongue (what could be oral thrush/leukoplakia), frequent mouth sores, a lump on my left inner thigh (swollen lymph node?)

Anyways, got a routine blood test done last month (didnt test for HIV) and everything looked good, including my RBC/ WBC count, they were really good.

Do you recommend that I get an HIV test?

Thank You

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are a virgin. You have never used drugs or needles, and never had a blood transfusion. Why in the world would you think you had HIV? Because you had a wisdom tooth extraction? Did they take out your tooth or your wisdom??? The stuff on your tongue is not related to HIV, because you do not and cannot have HIV based on the story you've related. The lump on your left inner thigh is also not related to HIV for the exact same reason. Both of these "symptoms" may well be totally normal. Check them out with your general medical doctor if they are bothering you.

Do I recommend you get an HIV test? No, I recommend you get a boyfriend instead!

Good luck. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

82 Days
HGB/HCT O.K. but RBC down with increased MCV & MCH

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint