Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

82 Days
Jul 26, 2002

Hello Dr Bob

First of all, I want to commend you on all of the hope that you give to people who are anxious about being infected and those who already are. You are truly a remarkable man.

I am just trying to clarify the testing period where people can get an accurate HIV reading. I know that the CDC states from 3 months and 6 months. I was tested 82 days (MAY 22, 2002) after unprotected intercourse with a girl in Korea (FEB 26, 2002) and tested negative. Would you say this is reliable? I am freaking out because I didn't test exactly at 90 days.

I am not sure if this lingering "fuzzy" sleepy feeling, tingling in my tongue, non-recurring shooting pain in my limbs and rashes that appear and disappear after a couple minutes on my arms and legs are attributed to HIV infection. My Doctor says it's dermographia. He also did a swab test on my tongue and nothing came of it. But the fuzzy feeling and tingling sensation in my tongue remains and it is what is bothering me the most.

Could you let me know what I am feeling. Thanks again Dr Bob. There are people who believe that Heaven doesn't exist on Earth but I find that hard to believe with good people like you living here and giving people hope everyday. Have a great day.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

There is nothing magical about 90 vs. 82 days. Your symptoms are not suggestive of an HIV seroconversion reaction. Generally speaking, a 3-month test would be considered reliable for your type of exposure. The 82-day test is absolutely conclusive in my mind. Dermatographia is a skin condition that produces a wheal and flare-type reaction on the skin at pressure points. Dermato = skin, and graphia = writing. If you took a blunt object and wrote on your skin, it would flare up like a hive at the traumatized site. A dermatologist should be able to help you with this problem. It's somewhat similar to chronic hives.

So go ahead and WOO-HOO. You are negative! Don't forget your condoms for future episodes!! Thanks for your kind words.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Am I HSV +?
Next
HIV test for me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.