Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hyperactivity or suppression of the immune system???
Jul 26, 2002

hey doc. let me start by saying that you are the best! now, for my question, is it possible for ars to trigger allergic reactions that one has never had before?? for instance, to jewlery??? this would be in addition to the other common symptoms of fever, etc. i can't figure it out because allergies are a result of an overactive immune system and it seems that during ars one would have a immune suppression. anyways, please let me know. thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

An allergic reaction to jewelry is called allergic contact dermatitis. It usually is to the nickel component in jewelry. This type of reaction involves a very specific part of the immune system, which is different from that the part that can cause hay fever or cat allergy or food allergy, etc. Is it related to HIV? No, it's not. During the course of HIV, the body's immune system is initially turned on (revved up) and later becomes deficient (acquired immune deficiency syndrome), as the T-cells get destroyed by the virus. The immunology of HIV is extremely complex, but ARS does not trigger allergic contact dermatitis. It can, however, cause other types of skin problems.

Hope that helps. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
no risk vs. relatively low risk
Next
my sunshine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.