Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Second-guessing Results
Jul 25, 2002

i'm trying to be very strong. i feel so much better than i did a month or two ago. i can see light at the end of the tunnel, but i am having some negative thoughts. (pun may or may not apply). ok, i had a negative 3rd generation hiv 1/2 and pcr rna and antigen tests at roughly 12 weeks after possible exposure. all negative. i really don't think i could be so special to escape detection with all of those tests. but, like i said, i am second-guessing and need some reassurance i guess. i mean, i have seen that antigen and pcr tests are more meaningful within a few weeks of exposure, then your VL goes down,but i don't know if it goes down to an undetectable level. if neg on the pcr/antigen tests, would i have detectable antibodies yet? i feel like maybe i tested too late with the virus tests and possibly too early for the antibody test. is it possible or does it happen that people can be in a pickle of sorts in this scenario. like a few weeks between the two types of tests where nothing would be found? i try to come back on this site to sometimes help and encourage others, keep in touch with and up-to-date on what is happening to others in the same situation and sometimes i start wigging again. probably would even if i didn't come here because of the "symptoms" although they are not as severe as before,which is scary in a way too. is further testing warranted? can i move on for the most part? i will test again at the 6 month mark, do you think my results will change? thanks in advance!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

That's an interesting idea you have about testing too "late" with the virus tests, but too "early" for antibody tests. Of course, another interesting idea would be for cars to fly through the air like planes and glide through the water like a jet ski, but that isn't reality (except maybe in James Bond movies). No, my dear, your theory makes absolutely no sense scientifically. (Kind of like James Bond movies). You can never test too late with a PCR. Once positive, it stays detectable, even if it goes down somewhat as the immune system kicks into gear. So stop "wigging" and start WOO-HOOing! If you test again at the 6-month mark, your results will be the same - negative.

Relax, go see a James Bond movie, and stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help me understand
Next
Can the mind really do this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.