TESTING OUT OF STATE

HELP ME DOCTOR FRASCINO PLEASE!

I AM FATIGUED AS HELL TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT TO DO AND IF ANYONE CAN POINT ME IN RIGHT DIRECTION IT'S YOU.

I REALLY NEED YOUR ADVICE. I HAVE OBTAINED INSURANCE THROUGH A SMALL GROUP AT MY EMPLOYER BUT I AM FEARING MY STATUS. I DO NOT WANT TO USE MY INSURANCE THROUGH MY JOB TO GET TESTED AND WOULD MUCH RATHER GO SEE AN ID SPECIALIST RATHER THAN GOING TO GET TESTED ANONYMOUSLY. I AM ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT THE PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL INSURANCE I JUST OBTAINED, I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE IT. I FEAR I MAY NEED IT LATER. IF I GO OUT OF STATE TO A SPECIALIST AND PAY OUT OF MY POCKET, NOT USING MY INSURANCE; CAN MY INSURANCE TRACK ME EVEN OUT OF STATE (EITHER MY PRIVATE OR WORK INSURANCE TO SEE I HAD TESTS RUN AS RNA, DNA PCR, AND EIA.) WOULD U RECOMMEND WHEN I GO GET TESTED OUT OF STATE, THAT I USE MY OTHER ADDRESS OUT OF STATE THAN THE ADDRESS I DISCLOSED ON MY INSURANCE POLICY. OR IS THIS POINT IRRELEVANT. PLEASE HELP ME! I AM SURE OTHERS WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS RESPONSE AS WELL. THANK YOU.!!!

SAD BILLY

Dear Sad Billy,

Different states have different rules about reporting HIV infection. However, if you go to a different state, use an alias name and address, and pay for all services with cash, it would be quite difficult for an insurance company or anyone else to track you down. Perhaps even easier, reconsider the anonymous testing sites. If you're negative, great! That solves that and you haven't wasted a lot of time, energy, or money. If you are positive, well then you can proceed to an HIV specialist. Also it's worth noting that not all ID specialists know a lot about HIV.

Cheer up, Billy. Things will get better.

3rd Test Negative Still Worried
Aussie Ken again champion