Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

getting hiv by using condom
Jul 22, 2002

Hi Dr Bob

I'm new to this web site , but I think you are the most reliable here, first of all I have a protective sex wearing 2 condoms with a sexworker. the condom didn't break or slip off. But what make me worry is while I'm taking off the condoms some of her vaginal fluid (on the ring of the condoms -the flange- that has been expose to air 15-20 seconds it contact on my penis ( on my inner skin while I being erection)because I'm a uncircumcised male , does the inner skin consider mucus membrance, can that absorb the vaginal fluid by itself without cut or wound, what if I have cut on it, that I'm not aware of can I get effect that way? and also I'm worry is it easier to contract hiv by using two condoms, I did test both of the condoms by poured water in there after we done, no waters coming out and it seem still intact since the encounter only for 1-2 minutes, could that possible the water not leaking out or no breakage but the virus can absorb through the rubber,due by the friction on both condoms could the rubber being weak that virus can go through. After this incident 1 week later I have some diaharea,headdach,and muscle joint pain,(and tempature 98.8)not sure is that a fever? and 3 more weeks later have 3 swollen lymph nodes and stiff neck while I'm having the swollen lymph nodes I was having some skin infections on my back of my neck not sure does it to cause the swollen lymph nodes? my girlfriend also having some rash on her face after 1 week that I have unprotective sex with her the rash only on her face. the encounter with my girlfriends was 1week after I have sex with the sexworker.by what I'm describe do you think I'm at risk? Are those symthoms related to ARS? Please explain to me I'm very worry. Thank you Dr Bob GOD BLESS YOU.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your adventure with sex worker only lasted 1-2 minutes, and you wore 2 condoms! Yes, Sir Speedy, I'd say that's being very careful indeed. And you are wondering if it's easier to contract HIV by using 2 condoms simultaneously because the virus might absorb through both intact condoms due to friction? You're kidding, right? No, this is not possible. Besides, you only last 1-2 minutes. How much "friction" could you have generated? So then you took the condoms off and filled each only with water to see if there were any leaks? Please tell me you're kidding. What was the sex worker doing while you were making condom water balloons (besides probably laughing)? OK, so the used condoms didn't leak. That's good news. Regarding the vaginal fluids that may have touched the skin of your penis "after 15-20 seconds of air exposure", this is really not considered a significant risk, whether you're circumcised or not. Your symptoms are not related to HIV seroconversion. By the way, a temperature of 98.8 is completely normal. Neither your or your girlfriend's symptoms are worrisome for HIV. Considering you practiced extremely safe sex, your risk is also essentially non-existent. Stop worrying. Go make some more condom water balloons and use them for fun, rather than worry!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
jun 23, please help me, followup question
Next
Anemia,no GI, Hypothyroid & cramps

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.