Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No antibodies very worried
Jul 20, 2002

HI DR BOB,I am a hetrosexual male 35yrs old.Iam very concerned about a past exposure 8 to 10 years ago unprotected vaginal sex. I have recently tested for hiv elisa result was non-reactive my worry is i read that sometimes late in hiv diease some people might stop producing antibodies.i have had some symptons mild night sweats,sores in my mouth that seem to heal quick but seem to be reacuuring white tounge my doctor dosent think it is thrush my doctor seems to think that my symptoms are due to anxiety and that the test should be a extreamly accurate test result.I also had dna pcr test that came back not detected. Ihave also called the cdc aids hotline and they i would be very ill not to produce antibodies any more..I really want to put this behind me but I keep thinking of the small possibility that I could still be infected even though I tested negitave. I have started counseling for all the stress this has caused hopefully this will help.my question is do you think I might need futher testing or should i be able to put this behind me. I am married with two beautiful children and I am afraid that if I was infected I could have infected them.THANK YOU VERY MUCH... I KNOW YOU DONT USUALLY ANSWER TESTING QUESTIONS. I THINK YOUR A AWESOME DOCTOR FROM READING YOUR FORUM.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Can you put this behind you? Absolutely! Your exposure was a decade ago. You've tested negative on ELISA (antibody test) and DNA-PCR (this test does not rely on antibodies). You are unequivocally negative. There isn't even the slightest doubt in my mind; nor should there be in yours. Your symptoms are indeed quite classic for stress and anxiety, and I am very glad you are getting help for this problem. So, kiss your wife, hug your kids, continue to see your shrink, and thank your lucky stars!

Stay well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
ALWYS IN MY MIND
Next
Anemia and High Liver Enzyems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.