Barcelona

Dear Dr. first that anything let me tell you, that you are a great human being, and very respected and admired here in Spain. Have a couple of questions for you, first than anything, Are you coming to the Barcelona meeting in July? We have heard many things about new studies and developments but all of them untill now are rumors, do you know of anything promissing for the near future? If you could make an agenda about how and when new drugs could appear based on your guessing, what do you think it will be possible to see in terms of 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and 10 years??? We really hope to see you in Spain, where we well be glad to wait for you and your folks with a nice bottle of rioja wine. Sorry for the english, and remember you are one of the few persons who make a difference, so please continue making it... with all respect Jordy

Hello Jordy,

I certainly would not miss the chance to visit Barcelona, Bilbao, the Pyrenees, and La Rioja! Yes, definitely, I'll be there enjoying everything form Gaudi to Guggenheim! Just look for me rambling down Las Ramblas in the Ciutat Vella!

Do you really want me to give you an agenda of new drugs for 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and 10 years? I think I'd be typing for a week if I tried to give you all that information. Rather, I'd suggest you tune into The Body's World AIDS Conference coverage. There will be daily posts of all the important developments. None of us expect a "magic bullet" or instant cure anytime soon. In the past, we have seen a great number of compounds that looked very promising initially, but were later found not to be nearly as effective or safe as originally thought. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't be optimistic or hopeful. I certainly am!

In the not-to-distant future, watch for:

1. Atazanavir - the new protease inhibitor from Bristol Myers Squibb, which appears to have fewer side effects than currently available agents. An expanded access program for this drug was begun in May. 2. Tipranavir - the first in a new class of protease inhibitors being developed by Pharmacia & Upjohn 3. T-20 (enfuvirtide) - Roche's fusion inhibitor, which may well gain FDA approval before the end of the year. Ten years form now, I would guess we would be focusing on immune-based therapies, regulatory proteins (e.g. NEF, TAT, VIF) inhibitors, RNAase H inhibitors, Zinc finger inhibitors, integrase inhibitors, and lots of other things we haven't even discovered yet! There is no doubt that HIV has proven itself to be a formidable enemy and that the human immune system is difficult to manipulate effectively; however, the real news is that progress is being made on all fronts. The key is to stay well and be here for the cure! And what a celebration we'll all have that day!!!

Jordy, I am anxiously anticipating my visit to your lovely city. I leave tomorrow for a week in Paris before traveling on to Barcelona.

Stay well.

Thank you for your response, please read this!!!
ALWYS IN MY MIND