Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you for your response, please read this!!!
Jun 30, 2002

Dr. Bob, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my previous question (Are the ELISA for hiv and the ELISA for Lyme the same thing?). I know how busy you are and the numerous questions you receive, and I sincerely appreciate your answers and the work that you do. After re-reading my question, I realize now that I was not clear on my possible exposure. To clarify, it was unprotected vaginal sex with my fiance' (at the time) with no ejaculation. We used condoms for the first year, then after our engagement and our "supposed" negative HIV tests, we no longer used them. We had this unprotected sex approximately 10 times before I ended the relationship b/c I found he was not trustworthy. I then became obsessed with the idea that since he had lied about other things, he possibly lied about testing Hiv negative or even getting the test done. I'm going out on a limb here and asking you for one final response. Was my behavior very risky? Can pre-semen transmit the virus? Also, my SED rate at the time of the CBC was 4. I was told that if I in fact was infected with Hiv, my SED rate would be higher than 4. Is this true? I will get tested b/c of what you said to me, but I need to get up the courage first. This all occured almost 2 years ago and it still haunts me. You are truly a wonderful man, and I can't help but wonder if you truly grasp the depth of the impact you have on so many desperate souls. God bless you!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello again,

Unprotected vaginal sex 10 times without ejaculation carries a relatively low risk. Anal or vaginal receptive (with ejaculation) sex carries a much greater risk. The odds of your being negative are very definitely in your favor! Although you certainly can't count on a sed rate to determine if you're HIV infected or not, it's nice to know yours is normal. Can pre-semen transmit the virus? Well theoretically it is possible, but not highly likely. It's time to stop letting these fears haunt you. I know you've got the courage to get tested. There is an excellent chance the results will be negative. I'll be waiting for your WOOHOO!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
MIRACLE MAN HOW DO U DO IT?
Next
Barcelona

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.