Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You made a difference for me (but still doubts remain)
Jun 29, 2002

Hey, Dr. Frascino, first of all i want to say thank you. (And sorry if i don't write well, I'm in Montevideo and my mother tongue is Spanish). I felt suicidal (but i mean REALLY suicidal) and reading your forum has changed my mind. I don't like compliments and i don't want to compliment you very much, but i really appreciate your funny and wise answers. And most of all your attitude (made me change mine)

I know HIV+ people with fatigue and anemia must be hating "worried well" people, but i an not one. I just wanted to have an oppinion from you.

I change sex partner quite often (i'm a 25 heterosexual male), with many casual sex encounters. In march 30, i had one with an HIV+ woman. I used a condom, as always did in my entire life. So I am concerned about deep kissing (I had it a lot and with sores in my mouth; i bleed sometimes but not always). and possible "accidents" with the condom, that didn't break. I found 2 positions:

1) If she had blood in her mouth, it's possible that i'm infected, because of the sores and because of the mocous membranes in mouth)

2) Even in this case, it's as probable as winning 2 times the lottery: there's just one case of kissing transmission and the two of them had gone trough dental surgery and bled all the time and had disgusting kisses just after flossing!!

I) With which one of the positions u agree the most?

II) What are the best news you can tell me about better treatments for HIV infected people?

(Sorry again, i don't mean to bug you; i just feel like shit about this, although i'm not a worried well: i promise to myself not to torture myself with bad thoughts as my risk was minimal, but then i developed the exact symptoms of ARS, in the average period, and all my calm went down. Even now, my armpits hurt and so my muscles) Love,

Ignacio.

PS: One thing that has nothing to do with this forum, but i know many people want to know: how is your health? Is neuropathy serious? (i don't believe in cyber friendship, but i'm sure many people feel like you care about them) Best luck to you from the Ro de la Plata !

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Ignacio,

Your risk of HIV infection is very low. Proper use of a latex condom essentially eliminates the risk of acquiring HIV from intercourse, even if your partner is HIV-positive. The risk of deep kissing is almost non-existent. Yes, there is the one case you described of the 2 folks who both had dental surgery. This is a very unusual and isolated case. So unless you were actively bleeding and your partner had dental surgery just before your date, I strongly doubt you have anything to worry about. Certainly, if you are worried, go ahead and get tested. The important thing is to continue practicing safe sex! And it sounds like you get a lot of practice too! Good for you!!!

Thanks also for inquiring about my health. The neuropathy is annoying, as it interferes with my ability to play the piano. My partner Steve Natterstad, M.D. (The Body's expert in the Tratamientos Forum) and I give concerts to raise money for AIDS service organizations worldwide. To date, we've raised over $600,000! Although the neuropathy somewhat limits my ability to play, at least it's a great excuse if I hit any wrong notes!

Stay well and send my best to Rio de la Plata!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Quick little follow-up to HIV and Herpes
Next
About Dr Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.