Dizziness and Trizivir

Dr. Frascino:

My wife is HIV+ diagnosed on april 2001 and since then her treatment is Combivir plus Abacavir. She has experienced every time more often dizziness and we are worried because, although we know that dizziness is a side effect of Combivir, we really dont know what could happen if dizziness continue increasing and increasing in frequency and intensity. Please tell me what to do. She can change her treatment or may exist some other medicine in order to control dizziness or she just have to accept to live feeling those dizziness.

I'll appreciate your help.

Carlos

Hello Carlos,

Dizziness can be a side effect of many medications or related to other medical conditions such as Meniere's Disease. It also can be a symptom of anemia. Is your wife experiencing other signs of anemia - fatigue, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, paleness, difficulty concentrating, etc. I'm concerned about anemia because your wife is on Combivir, which contains AZT. AZT can suppress the bone marrow's production of red blood cells, leading to anemia, which in turn, could cause dizziness. Check with your HIV specialist. He/she will be able to check for this with a simple blood test.

Yes, there are many other medications your wife can use for her HIV infections, if she needs to switch. There are a variety of medications to treat dizziness, but it's best to find the cause of the dizziness and treat that condition.

low b12
X-RESVERATROL MY FATIGUE :-)