Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Amother ? from worried sick . . .literally
Jun 27, 2002

I posted a question earlier today about thrombocytopenia, swollen parotids, etc. I know you like us to send our "Am I infected" questions to Ryan, and I did but he never answered - - I understand totally. I also tried some other experts as well. I hoping you can help this hopefully "worried well person." :)

I was reading through the posts and saw some info about low testoterone. Five months ago I went to a doc who practices homeopathic med and natural hormone replacement therapy. My labs showed low white count 2.6 and low ABS lymphocytes, which is the way they have been for the last 10 years. My WBC went up to 3.6 a month later without meds. I was once diagnosed with lupus many years ago but then they changed the dx to SS, which could explain the low counts. However, my labs also showed low testerone, cortisol, and thyroid. The doc is giving me DHEA, Armor thyroid, and progesterone cream. STill wondering if these are symptoms despite the 3 neg ELISA's. ALso, I forgot to to tell you when I had my platelet crash I also had really swollen feet, symmetrical swelling of my finger joints, and body stiffness. The doc thought it was autoimmune related. Just wondering about the need for more testing. There has been no risk since the first test four years ago. I'm still depressed and stressed but I'm praying for an answer from you. Thanks for being so compassionate and understanding.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello "Worried Well Person,"

Your symptoms are consistent with an autoimmune illness, most likely Sjogren's Syndrome and not HIV. Three negative ELISA's are further proof of that. I'm a bit concerned about your current homeopathic and natural hormone replacement therapy. Autoimmune disease can be difficult to treat. I would strongly recommend you see a Board Certified Rheumatologist or Immunologist. These are physicians specifically trained to manage these conditions.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Okay, you are gonna kick my but for this one
Next
low thyroid

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.