Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I safe or is there danger?
Jun 24, 2002

Dear Dr. Frascino, I am a HIV negative male in love with a positive female. We have protected sex with condoms,but my question is this:Is it safe for me to french kiss her? I want to do it but feel scared, I read in some pamphlets that "social" kissing is safe, whatever that means, but does that include deep kissing? Can I relax and feel completely safe or is there some degree of danger? Advice from an MD would mean more to me than some pamphlet's advice. Thanks and god bless.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Like the song says, "A Kiss is Just a Kiss!" There has been only one documented case of oral-to-oral HIV transmission that I am aware of. It was picked up by the mass media a few years ago and generated a fair amount of mass hysteria, which was completely unwarranted. The case was highly unusual: Both an HIV-positive male and an HIV-negative female had both undergone dental surgery. The guy's viral load was sky high, and they both had significant mouth lesions from the surgery, which would have allowed blood-to-blood transmission. The odds of this ever happening again are astronomical. Exactly why these two felt like playing tonsil hockey right after dental surgery is far beyond me. So what should you do? I'd suggest giving your lover a kiss to remember! By the way, I do practice what I preach. My lover is HIV-negative and we kiss passionately all the time. In fact it sounds like a good idea right now! Gotta go!

Dr. Bob

Previous
leg ache and whitish tongue?
Next
Fatigue timeline

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.