Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

leg ache and whitish tongue?
Jun 24, 2002

dear Dr. Bob, firstly, my question should have been posted in the safe sex forum...of which i did...but there was no reply. SO, i hope you can help me out here. I have recently had an exposure to unsafe sex. It was anal sex without a condom. It was only for 10 seconds until i found out there was no condoms and stopped him. No ejaculation was made. Two weeks after that, my legs felt a bit achy...but this feeling is quite erratic and varies through the die, it gets worst when i stressed over this matter. I had no fever, my temp was 37 celcius all the time. no sore throat, no swollen glands, no fatigue, no rash. However, i did have a slightly whitish tongue but this only lasted for approximately 4-5 days. Could this be related to ARS? i went to the doctor, but they couldn't diagnose me and said i was fine. But they did ask me to drink more water to cure my whitish tongue. How does thrush feel like? is it a really white coating the whole tongue? Please help me out....i have resided into a serious state of anxiety and depression!! thank you for your patience.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You are correct that anal sex without a latex condom is considered high risk. However, 10 seconds only and no ejaculation do lower the risk. Your symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. "Slightly whitish tongue" does not sound like thrush. And thrush certainly would not even be expected to develop so soon. The achy legs are also not consistent with HIV. Your problem is related to your anxiety and depression. Ask your doctor for a referral to a counselor or therapist who can help you with this problem. Go ahead and get tested at 3 months after your exposure. The odds are still very much in your favor for being HIV-negative. OK?

And remember to check for a condom each and every time!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Does NGU mean HIV?
Next
Am I safe or is there danger?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.