Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does NGU mean HIV?
Jun 24, 2002

I know this is the wrong forum but I have posted twice with Mr. Kull and no reponse. On Dec 13/01 I received a hand job and body rub at a massage parlour.There was no genital to genital contact or mouth contact whatsoever,though I did finger her a liitle.(no cuts on finger that I remember).After that on the same night I had protected vaginal sex with a prostitute. Two months after that I was diagnosed with an NGU, but negative for chlamydia and gonnorhea.For the past Four months now I have been stressing about this and of course HIV.I also had to confess to my wife and she had to be tested as well,though she was negative for STD's.I've beenm HIV tested negative three times at one month, 11 and a half weeks and at about 4 months (116 days).My question,if I was wearing a condom (and I was)how did I get NGU?my doctor doesn't know.SEcondly,does that mean I'm at a high risk for HIV and should be tested again at 6 months?My wife tested neg for HIV at about 2 months since our last unprotected sexual encounter.I think I've been having symptoms including a fuzzy,and heavy feeling in my head and some aching and joint pain.I've been freaking on this for over four months and I could really use some advice.I'd also like to resume unprotected sex with my wife soon,is it too soon for that? Thank-you in advance,I read thebody.com,everyday and since have learned a lot about HIV and STD's,No matter whatr happens my life will never be the same,(no more hookers and massages that's for sure)and believe it or not me and my wife have developed a more honest relatinship.She's amazing but I'm terrified I've ruined her life and mine.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

That was some night. First, the hand job at the massage parlor and then on to a prostitute?! OK, so what about the NGU. Well, I can tell you that you did not get it from protected vaginal intercourse, assuming you used the condom correctly. The condition could have resulted form the other sexual activities - the hand job, for instance. Does this place you at increased risk for HIV? No, it does not. You are HIV-negative x 3 times up to 4 months. Your HIV risk was minimal to begin with. You're negative! No, you have not ruined your wife's life or yours. In fact, I'm delighted to read that this episode has strengthened your bond with your wife and that you've developed a more honest relationship. I see no reason why you should not resume a sexual relationship with your wife immediately! Learn from your mistakes of the past, live for today, and focus on tomorrow! Your current symptoms are most likely related to anxiety, stress, and guilt. Let all that go. You and your wife are fine. Don't beat yourself up over past mistakes. We are all human. That means we all make mistakes!

So, go ahead, resume sex with your wife. OK?? OK??? Are you still there?? Oh, I guess not. It's nice to know you are following my advice. Have a good time!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
is this the end?
Next
leg ache and whitish tongue?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.