Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

is this the end?

Dear doctor, my male friend has been really unwell for the past 4 months, he is so very tired and can hardly have a conversation, he's got renal failure, is on dialysis 3 times a week, has a PEG feed because he is sick all the time and has no appitite. He has been positive for about 15 years now.How can we help him? have you known anyone get better or even improve their quality of life when they have been so very ill? He is being looked after at home by his partner.Keep up the good work

AIDS, renal failure, PEG feeding tube - yes, it sounds like your friend is quite ill. How can you help him? First, make sure he is being well cared for by a knowledgeable HIV specialist. If everything that can be done is indeed being done then the best thing you can do is continue being his friend. Continue to visit, talk, laugh, touch, and hold him, even if he is not able to participate in conversation. If his partner is the primary caretaker, make sure the partner gets a respite away from his duties on a regular basis. Have I seen miraculous recoveries? Absolutely. Will this happen to your friend? I really can't say; however, I can let you know that quality of life is always improved when caring friends are around. I'll keep up my good work if you keep up yours. OK? Thanks for caring.

BOB DEAR
Does NGU mean HIV?