Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

low white blood cell count
Jun 11, 2002

Dear Dr. Frascino, In February, after routine bloodwork, my doctor noticed a low white blood cell count. A second test a month later was even lower, and she referred me to a hematologist/oncologist. Initially he thought it was poor nutrition ( I was taking in less than 1000 calories a day).Now we're doing all the tests-spleen,lupus,possible bone marrow tap. But last vist he asked if I'd had sexual contact with anyone with HIV. I've had two negative tests, the last was 14 months after unprotected sex, but he said you can never trust a negative HIV test. I am so worried. Is it possible that I had two false negatives? Should I get tested a third time? Please help, he said I could be sick with AIDS and it would not come up on tests for a while. I am so scared.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

So where did this doctor of yours get his degree? "The School of Inappropriate Bedside Manners?" Hopefully, s/he knows something about hematology/oncology, because they are demonstrating an incredible lack of knowledge, not to mention sensitivity, about HIV/AIDS. You've had 2 negative tests up to 14 months after your last possible exposure. You are negative. Two false negatives are statistically nearly impossible.

Whatever else might be going on, you are not HIV-positive. You really don't need any additional HIV tests and your doctor was wrong to scare you into believing "you could be sick with AIDS and that it might not show up on tests for awhile." What does s/he consider "a while?" Your second negative test at 14 months is much more than "a while" in my book. As for "never trust a negative HIV test," I'd say perhaps the better motto would be "never trust a doctor who says never trust a negative HIV test." The only thing you have to worry about is that ill-mannered doctor of yours. You might consider asking your general medicine doctor for a referral to a different hematologist/oncologist, if this one continues to give you blatantly false and frighteningly misleading information.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sleep problems / Is everyone totally paranoid?
Next
It's STILL All In The Smile!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.