re: I just want to thank you, sir

Hello Doc! My name is Donnie. I am happy to report that my 24 week elisa was negative. Woohoo! I understand this to be conclusive. I do have a few questions though. Is there any reason why you would retest? I have the following; numerous eye floaters (15-20) all day long (eye dr says they will just go away)for 3 to 4 months, extreme amount of gas and bloating, fatigue (must sleep 9+ hours to feel rested),shortness of breath (when I play football I am the only one out of breath). I am 6' 190 lbs so I am not fat or out of shape. My doctor has diagnosed me with irritable bowel, and given me pamine 2.5 mg. I have sharp pains just beneath my ribs on both sides right after a meal regardless of size. I live in a small town, and I don't beleive my doctor has much experience. I have changed doctors three times since this all began. My last and only exposure was 8-17-01. I have almost driven my gorgeous wife away. She tested neg. three months after my exposure, and gave blood last month (8 months after exposure) which was perfectly normal. I am very optimistic and never search for things wrong. They just keep occuring and have yet to "magically" disappear. I need help, and even though I've never met you, just through your words here on this sight, I trust your professional opinion. Also, is it normal to have white coating on the back of your tongue. It doesn't hurt, and brushes off pretty easily. As an immunoligist, does this sound like anything in particular to you. Any help you could give me would be appreciated and rewarded with a donation to your favorite organization. God Bless You!

Hello Donnie,

Your negative ELISA at 24 weeks is very conclusive. If you haven't had any additional risk, then a WOOHOO is definitely warranted. So, WOOOOHOOOOO! This means your symptoms, whatever they may be, are absolutely not related to HIV. I'd believe the eye doctor if he/she said the floaters were nothing to worry about. The gas and bloating go along with your irritable bowel diagnosis. The exact cause of your fatigue may be difficult to pin down without examining you and performing the appropriate tests.

When you play football, you are the only one out of breath??? Who are you playing with, the 49ers? A good internist can quickly check to see if everything is OK with your heart, lungs, muscles and blood. If that checks out, keep exercising, even if you get a bit winded.

The coating on the back of your tongue sounds quite normal to me. What are you doing looking way back there anyway? If you don't trust your small town doctors, take a drive to a larger town and see a good internist, perhaps at a medical center. Lingering anxiety/stress about possible HIV infection may still be playing a role in that your are still wondering whether or not you should retest. Symptoms magically disappear when you truly let go of your irrational fears of being infected. So plan a nice getaway with that gorgeous wife of yours, put all this where it belongs - behind you. Focus on today, plan for tomorrow, and learn from the past.

Good luck and congratulations on your negative status!

Dr. Bob Favorite Charity: The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive Suite #200 Los ALtos CA 94024

Tired
tiredness