Urine and Mucus Membrane

Hi Dr Bob,

This may sounds like an unusual exposure, but am really scared. I was peeing into a urinal one day and towards the end of it, some urine (my own) got reflected and landed on my penis urethra. Supposing there were some HIV blood stains from others urine left on the urinal mixed with my own reflected urine, what is my risk of contacting HIV? Can the urine flow inward and then pass on the HIV?

One thing for sure is that there was no one in the toilet before I stepped in, but cannot be sure how long ago was it since the last person who used the same urinal. It takes me approximately 30 seconds to a minute to walk to the toilet. And I did not come across anyone in that duration.

Appreciate an answer. I am really concern and lost. Thanks.

Is this a real question? You're actually worried about contracting HIV from your own backsplash??? Maybe you should consider focusing on a more realistic concern such as 1)

OK, to answer your question, absolutely not. Even if you decided to dive headfirst into the urinal (and mind you, I'm not recommending you do), you would not be at risk of contracting HIV.

And before you write back and ask, you can't get it from mosquitoes either (unless, of course, the mosquito is big enough to have sex with).

So, one final word of advice. Aim that nozzle of yours down when you're standing at the urinal to avoid experiencing your own golden shower whenever you visit a public restroom.

You're welcome. Stay well, and - ahem - stay dry.

Congratulations on your award
Extreme Fatigue