hiv in condoms?

im a desperate 29yr old male from africa.i had unprotected sex in april 2001.then had protected sex in july 2001-no condom breakage or slippage.in late september(5 months after unprotected and 9weeks after protected)had flu like illness,dairrhoea night sweats,constipation,thrush,fatique etc upto now.my question is ;we are told some of the free condoms in africa are laced with hiv,is it true?if im infected,could it be the first encounter or second protected encounter?how long does it take to have that flu like symptom to appear aFTER A POSSIBLE EXPOSURE?what is the possibility that somebody using your toothbrush about 18hrs after you use it(if your infected )will get the disease?do you think its wise for me to test?yours worried african

Hello Worried African,

Free condoms in Africa laced with HIV? Gosh, who sits around and thinks this stuff up? I thought I had an overactive imagination! No, my friend, HIV-laced condoms do not exist. Acute seroconversion reactions usually occur within weeks of an exposure, occasionally longer. You should be at no risk from your "protected" exposure. The symptoms you described occurring 5 months after an unprotected exposure would be quite late for a seroconversion reaction. Do I think you are infected? Probably not from the information you provided, but the only way to tell for sure is to get tested. Should you get tested? Yes, I'd recommend it to anyone who's been sexually active and at risk to get tested.

As for the toothbrush questions, no, there should be no risk at 18 hours. However, toothbrushes and razors should not be shared.

OK, so the plan is:

1. get tested (it will most likely be negative) 2. stop worrying 3. buy an extra toothbrush 4. stay well

just for u saying thanks
Using Androgel