TOWEL??!!

hi Dr. Bob, i know it is not common to get HIV from household objects, but consider this... My roomate is HIV+ ... when taking a shower tonight, after drying off i noticed a large patch of dried blood on the towel. I know it wasn't mine, because i'm certain it wasn't there yesterday. could i become infected this way if the towel rubbed against my vagina when i was drying myself (it might have). i don't know how long the blood was there for but it seemed fairly dry. please help me, do i have to wait three months now and get a test? has anyone ever been infected by a situation like this?? thank you, scared in NY

Hello Scared in NY,

No need for worrying. HIV does not survive for very long outside the body. Your risk would be so low as to be nearly non-existent. I do not feel testing is necessary at all. But I do think it would be wise if you had your own towel! And why was your roommate bleeding in the first place?

S/he should know the appropriate precautions to take in case they do get blood on something (use bleach or alcohol) to clean the surfaces.

So stop worrying and go out and buy your own towel (toothbrush and shaving razors as well!).

Stay well.

ciao dr bob
Please Help (Part II)_