Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ie...I need help
May 3, 2002

Dr Bob you are scaring me. I thought we were close to a thearaputic vaccine? I mean with all the talk of the vaccine Merck has. Lots of positive news lately thought that meant it was close like 5 or 6yrs away? I also thought we had drugs like HGR214 and TRAIL that are going to help us completly taime or erraticate the pesky critter? From what you said "not even on the horizon" I take it to mean we are still not close. I have heard reports of being able to clear out the reservors with TRAIL and that HGR214 has been showing it can hold the virus in check perminately. I thought we were close to the end. Please say we have real hope? Do we have hope of beating this???

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Don't be scared.

Do we have hope of eventually beating or learning to co-exist with HIV? I certainly believe we do. I doubt you could find a more optimistic person than me. However, I'm also a realist. The encouraging reports you heard about new or experimental therapies are very preliminary. The vaccine story is progressing, but remember that to test the efficacy of a vaccine once it's proven to be safe enough to use in humans will take years. I don't want people to have false expectations that a cure is around the corner or even on the horizon. We are making slow, but steady progress.

Stay hopeful, stay informed, and let's plan on dying of old age, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
pleeeeezzzzzzzzzze
Next
ciao dr bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.