ie...I need help

Dr Bob you are scaring me. I thought we were close to a thearaputic vaccine? I mean with all the talk of the vaccine Merck has. Lots of positive news lately thought that meant it was close like 5 or 6yrs away? I also thought we had drugs like HGR214 and TRAIL that are going to help us completly taime or erraticate the pesky critter? From what you said "not even on the horizon" I take it to mean we are still not close. I have heard reports of being able to clear out the reservors with TRAIL and that HGR214 has been showing it can hold the virus in check perminately. I thought we were close to the end. Please say we have real hope? Do we have hope of beating this???

Don't be scared.

Do we have hope of eventually beating or learning to co-exist with HIV? I certainly believe we do. I doubt you could find a more optimistic person than me. However, I'm also a realist. The encouraging reports you heard about new or experimental therapies are very preliminary. The vaccine story is progressing, but remember that to test the efficacy of a vaccine once it's proven to be safe enough to use in humans will take years. I don't want people to have false expectations that a cure is around the corner or even on the horizon. We are making slow, but steady progress.

Stay hopeful, stay informed, and let's plan on dying of old age, OK?

pleeeeezzzzzzzzzze
ciao dr bob