Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pleeeeezzzzzzzzzze
May 3, 2002

i know this isnt the right forum for my question but noone ealse will help what test would you order for someone who is having constant problems hiv related i had exposures in 91 thru 94 im female unprotected sex with 6 different people over the period of 91-94 i had a hiv test done in 96 because of oral concerns it came back neg then again in 98 i retested still neg then i took home access in june 2001 it was neg then the seborrheic dermatitis started i have never had it before so i waited until dec 2001 i took hiv 1 and 2 the antigen test i did the nat test also tested for hep and all other std's all neg again then on 3-2002 i tested again and still neg i have this scaly dandruff all over my face and what looks like red band gingivitis but it isnt bright red bands more the pink like my tongue my dentist has seen it and hasnt said anything i clean my teeth every 6 months and take great care of my mouth so im sure it's hiv gingivitis can u tell me what tests i could take so i can put this to rest the stress is killing me and im pregnant and i need to know im ok i cant stand the thought im going to infect my baby please help me

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You had exposures in 91-94, but tested negative in 1996, 1998, 2001 several times, and 2002. What could that possibly mean? The answer really isn't all that difficult is it? You are not HIV-infected. No matter how many times you take the test, it will continue to be negative. Negative is negative. What more can I say? OK, so you have seborrheic dermatitis. That's a very, very common condition and does not mean you are HIV-positive. It means you have seborrheic dermatitis. See a dermatologist and it will get better. If your dentist isn't worried about your pink bands on your gums, perhaps they are normal. Ask him. Again, it has absolutely nothing to do with HIV. What tests do you need? None. What you need is a counselor or therapist who can help you get over your irrational fears of being HIV-infected. You should be focusing on your pregnancy and the wonders of motherhood that await you and your healthy newborn, not worrying about non-existent medical conditions. Ask your doctor or OB-GYN for a referral to a therapist. Get help. Get well, and put these worries in the past where they belong.

Dr. Bob

Previous
SOB and HIV
Next
ie...I need help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.