apnea

Dr. Frascino: I am a member of the protease inhibitor list serve, and I have been diagnosed with apnea after years of struggling with fatigue which my docs thought was due to HIV only. I posted a question about apnea on the list serve and got several responses with people that are being told that their lipodystrophy is most likely creating apnea in them as well. I haven't heard you say much about this in your responses. It may be that this is a problem with lots of folks but that doctors aren't thinking about this possibility. I'd apprecate any thoughts you might have. Do you thinkg HIV docs should become more aware of this possibility, esp. with people that are showing signs of lipodystrophy?

Thank you for taking the time to write in. Yes, sleep apnea can lead to daytime somnolence and fatigue. Certainly large "buffalo humps" can make sleeping difficult. Lipodystrophy in general can be divided into fat loss (lipoatrophy) and fat gain (lipohypertrophy). The fat gain problems are the ones that might be linked to apnea. It's not generally felt to be a "common" cause of fatigue, but it's certainly worth considering, especially if the more common causes, such as anemia, depression, medication side effects, hormone problems, etc., have been ruled out.

Thanks again. Stay well.

RE: I dreamt about you in Australia!!! plus Donation
Bad ID doctor, or am I a baby?