Hopes and Dreams in your hands!

Dr. Bob, I desperatly need your help. About 5 yrs. ago when I was 17 I met a girl through some friends. She was a wild 15 yr old at the time. Any way later we had unprotected vaginal intercourse. I am driving myself sick worrying. She last I heard was married and had two kids. I am about to graduate with my 4 yr degree and aspire to become a medical doctor like you. I think I want to be an HIV specialists because I am so moved by the compassion you have for so many. Any way what is my risk for this exposure? Has this messed up all of my hopes and dreams? Thanks, Hopeful future HIV specialist!

Hello Future HIV Specialist,

No, you haven't messed up anything at all. You had a roll in the hay with a wild 15-year-old 5 years ago. Chances of contracting HIV from this episode are really quite low. You are both well 5 years later. Stop worrying if you can. If you can't, then get tested. It will be negative. Your hopes and dreams are still on track! I'll look forward to having you as a colleague in the future.

Stay well.

help answer concerns
Condom slippage