I Need Help

Dear Dr. BOB,

Its been some time in the making , but here goes...While I realize this question is out of line for this forum, your my only hope right now. ABOUT 4 yrs ago, I had unprotected sex with a girl at college. She and I had about four trysts. ABout two weeks or so later, I noticed a small white lesion of some variety on the end of my penis. then there was yellow discharge (I had to throw out my underwear so there was no evidence for ma).

SO I freaked and got an STD check. BUT I believe they only checked for the standards not HIV. Someone once told me you have to sign somethign to get tested for HIV, SO when I called they said the results were all negative. WHEN I nervously asked about HIV they said "you should come in and get tested for that". BUT then I got so scared and depressed (I figured they screened me and I was +). THERE was no other 'typical' ARS symptoms, just the above mentioned small white lesion and discharge(typicall of virus?). DR. BOB, I didnt have th e cajones to get tested for HIV and still don't. So much for "knowthyself", huh? Now I live every day in hope that a therapeutic vaccine will be out in a couple of years, or that a drug like prostratin will Eradicate HIV and help me and countless others live without such a wily virus n bloodstream. ALL becuase I think Ive got HIV, even though I have not had any noticable OIs, exercise every day, am a vegetarian, and cant remember the last time I had a cold (even when my friends are coughing/sniffling besid eme w flu)...But what in the hell was that original nastiness on Mr Happy? I'm really scared, and dont know what to do, if you could hypothesize what happened, in terms of an infection, Id be somewhat relieved and very grateful...

Best,

JJ

Hey JJ -

Transient "nastiness on Mr. Happy" is really not a sign of HIV. Most likely, it was related to irritation or a very mild self-limited infection. It was not any of the major STDs, as you were screened for those.

Consent forms for HIV tests are often required, depending on where you live. No, they wouldn't run an HIV test without telling you. Nor would they hide your results. Why should they? Do I think you're positive? No, it's highly unlikely. However, if you've got the cajones for the trysts, you should also have the cajones for the test. It may be the simplest way to really set your mine at ease. Don't wait for a therapeutic vaccine or HIV eradication. Neither is even on the horizon. JJ, I really believe you are fine. Get tested, if you feel you need to. Remember to always use condoms to prevent further worry or other nastinesses on Mr. Happy. Finally, didn't Ma ever wonder what happened to all your Calvins?

Can we rely on the decision made by our Medical Officer?
Please help me-aiuto per favore