The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WooHoo from worried-well/worried-sick
Apr 11, 2002

Dear Dr. Bob: I am the one with the silly WW/WS question of a couple of weeks ago (I just wanted to get your attention since I was unsuccessul in getting answers/consolation elsewhere in the forum). First of all, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your answering me and the many other anguished souls out there. I have learned so much from reading several of the body forums over the past 3 months that I now consider myself quite educated on the subject of HIV infection, testing, symptoms, etc. In your forum I have also learned to laugh while I cried, to have hope that, despite the dreadfulness and consequences of HIV infection, life does not stop. I have learned that there are beautiful human beings like yourself who show us the way to survive while contributing to humankind. Anyway, my 12-week ELISA test came back negative and, given all my other previous negative tests (PCR included), I am committed now to go back to normal life. My doctor wants me to take another test at the 6-months point, but he himself tells me that it is more likely that I will be hit by a meteorite by then than that I have contracted HIV (I guess he probably buys life insurance for himself against meteorite strikes). I will do as he says, but I WILL also return to normal life NOW; including having unprotected sex with my loving wife of 20 years, who has probably been wondering about my extreme frigidity over the past several weeks (she is just so smart!). Not only do I swear to follow your advice of "not going back to the woods without rubbers", but in fact I will do one better, I will simply not ever go back to the woods; I will stay home instead, period. To finalize, I want you to know that I will make a donation to your foundation, but beyond that I want to become involved in helping other people who go through the same hell as I have. Perhaps with a little bit of extra training, I could serve in some organization where I can provide counseling to worried-wells and worried-sicks. Do you know of an organization who might be willing to take me as a volunteer for this sort of service? Obviously, I have no medical or social services training and my time is somewhat limited, but I am a highly motivated and educated person.

Thank you again for your humanity.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Let me be the very first to welcome you to the ever-growing "ex-worried well, worried-sick club," affectionately referred to as the "WOOOO-HOOOO-ers."

AIDS service organizations around the country are always desperately looking for volunteers. I'm sure they all would be delighted by your offer to help. I don't know where you are writing from, but check your local phone book for local AIDS service organizations, and give them a call. I doubt you'll have difficulty locating a suitable organization to work with, but if you do, write back, and let me know where you live, and I'll try to provide some contacts for you.

I wish I could answer each and every WW/WS question that comes into my forum; however, there are over 200 waiting for replies at this very moment and more seem to appear on an hourly basis. There's a whole lot of worry going on out there. Hopefully by posting your comments, other WW/WS-ers will heed your wise advice and soon join the happy, peppy WOOOO-HOOOO-ers.

Lastly, personally and on behalf of The Foundation, thank you for your very generous donation. I can assure you it will touch the lives of many in a very meaningful way.

Warmest personal regards and thanks,

Dr. Bob

I dreamt about you in Australia!!!
To Those Worrying Souls

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint