Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

anxiety taking over
Apr 11, 2002

Dear Sir, Please just dont disregard it as a worried well. i want your advice and let this also be a warning against anxiety.

I had protected sex with a girl (I am a hetrosexual) about 8 months ago. Exactly two weeks later I had a very mild flu and I had some red spots that suddenly appeared on my arms on day three of the fever and subsequently resolved in a couple of hours (it didnt blanch though). For the next 10 days I had a very fluey, depressed kind of feeling and was very fatigued. Since then I have had many tests (PCR,ELIS,etc...) all negative. My last cd4/cd8 ratio has also come at 1.82 (CD4/cd8) after about 7 months of contact. I have no reason to believe that I have HIV. At this point I have a swollen salivary gland on the right side which came after 3 months of contact(doesnt pain at all) and is still there and some petechaie (platelets normal)

The fact is that I do not know where to go from here. I feel i am just waiting for some thing to happen to me and thus die.

What should I do. You have to agree that I had almost classic symptoms of AVS. i just dont know where to go from here. I feel stupid even thinking I have HIV......But what can I do. I have become so paranoid that I dont know what to do...Please help.... From: Lost my life tottally....

1) Are there viruses that can cause this other than hiv

2) Is it possible to have hiv associated petechaie with normal platelets

3) Is it possible to have all the above test results and have hiv (99.99)

Anything you do not want to answer becaosu of policies you can omit...but please advice on what to do.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yu had "protected sex." You've had "many tests . . . all negative." You "have no reason to believe that you have HIV." So what's the problem? I agree with your wholeheartedly!

So on to your questions:

1. Viruses other than HIV that cause mild flu, rash, swollen glands, etc.? Absolutely. Lots and lots of them. Unlike HIV, they will go away and not bother you. 2. HIV-associated petechiae with normal platelets? No. Since you don't have HIV, how can you have HIV-associated anything? (except perhaps HIV-associated anxiety!) 3. Is it possible for you to have HIV, considering your risk and test results. No. Your chances are non-existent - Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada!

What should you do? You need to see a therapist who can help you overcome your irrational fears. I know you are suffering right now, but it's not because of HIV. Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist or counselor.

Get well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
My weird illness
Next
I dreamt about you in Australia!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.