Clinically hypogonadic.. what should I do?

I'm HIV+ CD4 ~450, VL U/D (D4T, 3TC, NVP). My testosterone level is just below the lower limit of the normal range, although has been much lower. I'm clinically hypogonadic (NO libido, dec. freq. of shaving, paucity of body hair, often fatigued). Other endocrine parameters are normal.

In your experience am I likely to regain normal testicular function without testosterone replacement therapy? Or should I try and persuade my physician to prescribe me testosterone as this would ameliorate my symptoms?

Many thanks,

LD

Hello LD,

Why would you have to persuade your physician to prescribe a testosterone supplement if your levels are low and your Mr. Happy is out of commission? If he or she needs to be persuaded, perhaps you should search for another HIV specialist. Will your testosterone levels normalize on their own? Most likely not. Besides, why even consider a wait-and-see approach when you are clearly quite symptomatic? You have a very clear indication for testosterone supplementation. I'd recommend the new gel formulation, AndroGel. It's applied topically once-per-day. The dose can be adjusted based on your response. (Or should that be Mr. Happy's response?) This is definitely a quality of life issue. Not having to shave as often may be OK, but no nookie??? That qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment. So give "love potion #9" a try. I think you'll be glad you did. And after all, it is the Easter Season. So Mr. Happy should be ready to rise from the dead.

loss of smell in HIV+ patients
similar disease like HIV