loss of smell in HIV+ patients

Dr. Bob, Do you have any experience with loss of smell in HIV+ patients? I have been HIV+ for 17 years now--and I feel great. So great in fact that I have ignored the fact that my sense of smell has gradually decreased over the years to the point that I have NO sense of smell left. I have been without a sense of smell for at least four years now. When I tell people, the inevitable response is "can't you do something for that--have you talked to your doctor?". I have not talked to my doctor about it--there always seems to be other more pressing things. I have searched the Internet and have found info that suggests I am not alone, but no mention of a remedy. Can you help me sniff this out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HIV+ for 17 years and feeling great! Fantastic.

Loss of sense of smell is called anosmia. It's not directly related to HIV, but can be associated with other conditions. Nasal polyps, for instance, are frequently a cause for gradual loss of the sense of smell. Ask your doctor for a referral to an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor. They would be the best ones to help you sniff this out. Hopefully soon, you'll be able to once again enjoy the aroma of Starbucks coffee, popcorn in movie theaters, and the baby's diaper that needs to be changed.

Now as soon as you get that sniffer back in working order, I'm sure you'll also want to change your current cologne. After all, who still wears the Hai Karate fragrance?

Stay well.

daytime naps are out
Clinically hypogonadic.. what should I do?