Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

platelets
Feb 27, 2001

Dear Dr. I had a platelet count of 517. I did have a blood transfusion due to surgery a few weeks ago. Coulod this be the reason for a high count, or should I look further into this. Thank you, Ann

Response from Dr. Frascino

"Hello Ann, Your platelet count is only mildly elevated.The medical term for this is thrombocytosis and the condition is usually temporary. It can be caused by laboratory error or iron deficiency and may be seen in conditions of chronic inflammation or following recovery from an acute infection. There are several more serious conditions, such as carcinoma and Hodgkin's disease (malignant diseases), which may also be associated with thrombocytosis. Elevated platelet counts are not routinely seen in HIV infection. Next step would be to get the test repeated. Chances are the condition will resolve spontaneously; if not then I would look for a reason other than the blood transfusion as the cause. Hope this helps. RJF".

Previous
Chronic fatigue ..recently positive
Next
Please Answer. (Paxil)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.