Untouched Question

Dr. Bob,

Since I haven't received an answer to this question on the other forums, and you always seem to tackle the difficult questions, and lastly, since you're so damn cute, I thought I'd bring it to you as a last resort.

(I understand that this question is not related to your forum specifically, and therefore would double appreciate a reply.)

Question: Could you explain what happened to the chimpanzees which were inoculated with the HIV virus many, many years ago. None of them have gone on to develope AIDS. In fact, they have all been retired to a government paid resort for chimps, so to speak. Isn't it necessary to have an animal model to support the theory of HIV+=eventual AIDS?

Thank you for considering this question. All the best.

Well, I'll try. Yes, it would be ideal to have an animal model, but the problem is that HIV behaves differently in monkeys than it does in men. SIV (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus) is the monkey version. However, SIV and HIV are not identical either.

By the way, not all the chimps that were inoculated with HIV many years ago have retired to government resorts. Rumor has it that some went to work for Enron and others became elected government officials in Washington.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sleep, sleep, sleep!
I just want to thank you, sir