Fatigue: depression or meds?

Hi Doc

I'm a gay man living in Paris. Each time I complain about extreme fatigue my doctors tell me it must be depression and they try to persuade me to take effexor (prozac-like drug) etc. while I sense intuitively that the cause is more a side effects of meds and the infection itself. I tried the effexor drug for 3 months and when it did not change anything, doc proposes to increase doses. I was very glad to read your excellent answer on responding to lack of libido with androgel (I recognize myself in the sexually unhappy man) My details: hiv+ since 1993 on meds since 1996(now: crixivan+norvir+abacavir+tenofovir; VL 5000; T4: 200 -300 range) Thanks in advance

Bonjour,

Joyeuses Paques! J'adore Paris! Je suis en train d'apprendre le francais. Ce n'est pas facile pour moi, mais je bien m'amuse. Je dois repondre a votre question en anglais parce qu'en francais ne comprendra personne !

At l'Alliance Francaise, where I'm taking my French classes, the professor told us that the French consume more antidepressants than any other country in the world! He told us everyone in Paris pops Prozac or Effexor like candy. Perhaps he was speaking from personal experience. I'm not sure.

So what about your situation? Crixivan + Norvir + Abacavir + Tenofovir is a tough regimen. Your viral load is still detectable at 5000. Certainly, these drugs could be contributing to your fatigue symptoms. If possible, I'd recommend you get resistance testing - genotype and phenotype. This should help your HIV specialist determine if these drugs are the best combination for you to be on. Second, being a sexually unhappy gay man and living in Paris is incompatible! Paris is the city of love and romance, isn't it? So what could be the problem? Hypogonadism (low testosterone) is extremely common for those of us with HIV infection. Have your doctor check your testosterone level. Chances are it's low. AndroGel is a convenient way to supplement testosterone. Just rub it on once per day. The dose can be adjusted based on your response. This should perk things up for you (including your sex life). I should also mention that hypogonadism is associated with fatigue. So this may also help in that department as well.

Your doctor should be reminded that not everything can be fixed by antidepressants, no matter how high he pushes the dose!

Hopefully, this will help. If not, write back and I'll try to give additional suggestions.

Vous pouvez aussi me dire tous les derniers potins de Paris. Je rentrerai a Paris en juillet.

Je vous prie de croire a l'expression de mes sentiments de sincere amitie.

Anemia and Fatigue
pre-cum