Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried sick? or worried well?
Mar 28, 2002

Dear Dr. Bob: Can you define worried-well? Most self-described worried-wells in your forum appear to develop symptons that mimic ARS, or so they think anyway. My problem is that I don't or have not. Ever since my high risk exposure 2.5 months ago (unprotected vaginal sex with a woman sex worker of unknown status), I have been plenty worried but I have done everything in my power to stay healthy and convince myself that I do not have ARS (is this worry sick?). So far I have succeded but believe me, I am still worried. The proof is that I have had ELISAS at 1.5, 3.5 and 6 weeks, and a qualitative PCR at 3.5 weeks, all negative. I am now worried about the big 3-month ELISA test I plan to have, counting down the days. So what am I? worried sick? and by the way, the 3-month test should be conclusive, right? Thank you, you are best. But then, you already know that...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Worried well? Worried sick? Worry - worry - worry - Don't "worry" about the terminology. Let's just hope you remain well, well, well. Opinions vary about the length of time you need to be tested. Certainly a negative ELISA at 3 months plus your other tests, including a negative PCR at 3.5 weeks, would lead me to believe you are negative. Some experts and organizations would recommend one additional test at 6 months for significant exposures. Do I think you need it? No. Remember, even if the sex worker was HIV-positive, not all (not even most) exposures result in infection.

I think you are almost out of the woods. Just remember, no going back into the woods without wearing your rubbers!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv concern
Next
Pernicious anemia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.