Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WoHo...can you please explain something to me?
Mar 20, 2002

Hello again,

Okay, I understand that the RNA/Elisa after 2.5 months is conclusive...but then you said something that confused me. So, if you have time, could you please clarify a couple of things?

1)Isn't an exposure an exposure? Why would being stuck create a need for testing out to six months and a wild fling over a hot-tub be conclusive? Did it take you six months to test positive?

2)Are Antibody tests more sensitive than they used to be...thus the manufacturer saying testing after 8 weeks is conclusive?

3)Does Valtrex lower HIV viral load???

You are excellent for this website by the way; I think it would go under without you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

1. Exposures vary by level of risk. My exposure was from a person with advanced-stage AIDS, and it involved a puncture and laceration with a hollow-bore needle that contained blood from the patient. Therefore, the risk of seroconversion was higher than your wild fling over the hot tub with someone who may or may not even be HIV positive. So if I got a negative test at 2.5 months, I'd be very happy, but I'd still want to retest at 6 months, because of the high risk nature of the exposure. If you got a negative test at 2.5 months, you should just woohoo!

2. Antibody tests are getting better and better with improved technology.

3. No, Valtrex has no effect on HIV. Valtrex treats herpes viruses. HIV is a lentivirus and retrovirus - a completely different species.

Hope this puts your mind at ease so you can relax rather than worry in that hot tub.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Procrit Pills?
Next
Italian Stallion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.