Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Real or Scam???

Hi Ya Doctor Bob,

In trying to access "Socials", an old an HIV website, a couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find out it had moved and changed to HOPE.com. From there I stumbled on to thebody.com link. Absolutely Fabulous***** with a POZ 5 star rating. In reading something off the message board, "WHAT DOCTORS don't want you to know". I was more than a little curious about this BioChoice product called Immune26 and Immune Support. The product is made by Dupont-ConAgra and has had several clinical trials. It appears to be a immune system nutriceutical stimulator. It has an FDA GRAS rating and is also listed in the PDR. It apparently helps with quite a number of ailments. The website is www.legacyusa.com The site list's a number of testimonials for the product, which as any good PR in advertising would.

My question is; do you know anything about, or have you heard of this product?

It has a lengthy list of Doctors and Scientist who have developed the product.

Knowing that there are so many scams out there that try to intise Seniors and People with severe medical problems in an attempt to bilk us outta money, I had hoped you may lend some credance to this product.

My first reaction after reading the info on the site, was one of skeptisim. You know, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is".

Having been on the "cocktail" for 6 years now, I feel drained all the time.

Though I'm healthy as a bull, my energy levels aren't what they used to be.

Since the BioChoice product not only stimulates the immune system, but helps with chronic fatigue, I decided to try it.

Fortunately, I have lab work this month and more in May before I see my ID Doctor in June. After receiving my first shipment of the powdered Immune Support product a week ago, I thought I would conduct my own blind clinical trial with 2 separate baseline blood tests and see what the Doc has to say about the results when I see him in June.

I did check to see if it had any adverse affects with the High dollar and High powered medical cocktail I'm on. NADDA!!!

It comes in three flavors, and surprisingly, it actually taste pretty good.

As far as results, it's too early to say whether my energy rebound is real or a psychological placebo effect at this point.

If you get a chance to check out the site I mentioned or have any independent insight to this product, I would sincerly appreciate it.

D in VA

PS: I've read a number of your responses to people's questions. You are one KEWL Web DOC. On a witty note, to paraphrase an old Dionne Warwick song, "What the World Needs Now is more Souls Like Yours" it's thing only thing that there just to little of.

You've been "Bookmarked" my new friend. };-)

Hello D in Va,

Thanks for your comments!

Bio Choice Immune 26 and Immune Support for the treatment of HIV immune deficiency or fatigue? Real or Scam? Scam. I'd definitely say scam. But that's just my opinion.

First off, please note the PDR states "Bio Choice is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease." The company's claims of supporting the immune system, modulating autoimmune responses, maintaining digestive tract health, maintaining flexible and healthy joints, maintaining cardiovascular function and a healthy circulatory system and healthy levels of cholesterol, and increasing energy levels" are unsubstantiated "claims" and certainly not proven facts. (I'm kind of surprised it didn't claim to cure bad breath and dandruff as well!) Essentially, the stuff is powdered pure eggs derived from hens that were immunized with 26 different bugs or germs that can infect the human gastrointestinal tract, such as Shigella and Salmonella. The wild claim is that the hen will make antibodies and then maybe these antibodies will protect humans if humans eat them. Sounds yummy, doesn't it? From an immunological standpoint, this makes absolute no sense what so ever. And I'm sure the hens aren't too happy about it either. Hen antibodies, if they are even made, would be proteins, which would be broken down by the human digestive process if eaten.

From an HIV perspective, this approach of "passive antibodies" was tried a number of years ago in a much more rigorous fashion. What was tried was using antibodies taken from individuals with early, asymptomatic HIV infection as a treatment for individuals with later-stage disease. Studies were done from the late 80's onwards. Results were not encouraging.

Passive immunity (antibody-based treatment) is used for some conditions. It must be given intravenously (intravenous gammaglobulin) to be effective. It is approved for use in preventing bacterial infections in children with HIV, since they have very immature immune systems. It is not approved for use in adults with HIV.

Please also note that the "immunologist and microbiologist" on the companies website is a Ph.D., not an M.D. That means she is not a medical doctor. Should you use it? That's up to you.

If you were to tell me it made you feel better, I would never argue with success, so long as it is doing no harm. At $47.00 per can, it's pricey for egg powder. Would I ever use it? Not on your life. I prefer my eggs scrambled rather than hyper-immunized. In the case of this product, I would say the eggs are "scambled" rather than scrambled. But again, that's only my opinion (strongly supported by the hens who get all the shots) as a Board-Certified immunologist!

Have you looked for the cause of your fatigue? Write back if you need advice about that. Now that I've been "bookmarked," you should be able to readily find me.

Stay well! Thanks for writing.

Trizivir=Fatigue?
Bothersome symptoms