anemia tongue

Can anemia cause burning of the tongue and lips? I also have a whitish color to by tongue, especially in the back by those big taste buds. I thougt it might be thrush be I have been told that you would have white patches on for checks and throat along with a whitish tongue. What do you think? Thanks,

Burning tongue? HIV-related anemia usually does not cause this; however, "pernicious anemia" can. Pernicious anemia is caused by a defect in the stomach and lack of something called "intrinsic" factor. A sore smooth tongue can be seen along with the usual anemia symptoms of fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, headaches, and exercise intolerance. The whitish color on the back of the tongue could be several things - dry mouth, post-nasal drip, or recent ingestion of a handful of marshmallows. Check it out with your doctor, if you're concerned.

cd4/t4 cells?
Dr.Bob