Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I woohoo yet?
Mar 15, 2002

Okay, Okay, I know-wrong forum. I really have asked the labs dept. about 20 times though...maybe it is a dumb question??? I can't figure it out from all the other info though.

Here it is...please explain. "Auf English"

If a person did an RNA(NAT) and 3 gen. elisa at 2.5 and/or more months(after 10 weeks), would the result be conclusive. Can I WOHO yet??? -Does it make a difference that I had taken Valtrex for about 3 weeks during months 1.5-2?(Would that effect the NAT test or the ELISA?)

Thanks for giving this a thought. I really appreciate your response.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

WOHO? Is that an abbreviation for woohoo? Yes, I would say a negative ELISA and RNA at 2.5 months were conclusive, particularly if the "exposure" was not very significant. If, for instance, you had an exposure like mine, where you were severely stuck with a large-bore, hollow needle from a person you knew had advanced-stage AIDS, then I would say get another test at 6 months. But if your exposure was a night of passion with a person of unknown HIV status and the condom slipped off while you were doing it on a trapeze over a Jacuzzi filled with champagne, well then I'd say your current negative tests would be plenty to start woohooing about.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
95 with sudden hemoglobin drop
Next
cd4/t4 cells?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.