procrit to boost Hgb, on Pegcombo

Hgb down to 10.1, will procrit boost my counts, that I might be able to keep medcine amounts at full strength(Peginterferon/Ribavirin)

Peg Interferon plus ribavirin is quickly becoming the treatment of choice for chronic hepatitis C infection. The best results are seen in folks who can tolerate full-strength treatment. However, Peg Interferon/ribavirin can induce significant anemia - called reversible hemolytic anemia. This is primarily due to the ribavirin component.

Recent studies have shown that the use of Procrit (40,000 units once weekly) is highly effective in treating this type of drug-induced anemia. The studies showed also that patients receiving Procrit (compared to those not being treated with Procrit) were able to maintain a significantly higher dose of ribavirin. This higher ribavirin dosing is correlated with improved outcome, i.e. cure or a "sustained virologic response," which means the virus is well suppressed.

So, can Procrit treat your Peg interferon/ribavirin-induced anemia? Absolutely. Will it allow you to stay on the full-strength dosage? I certainly hope so. It's definitely worth a try. Procrit has essentially no side effects and no drug interactions. It's self-administered once per week with a small injection just under the skin. Your hemoglobin is down to 10.1. I'd suggest you get started on Procrit right away. Hang in there. Help is on the way!

Question about your answer about high hemoglobin
Extremely Tired and Scared