Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

One more reason to be optimistic!
Mar 12, 2002

Hello Dr. Rob Just wanted to let you and all other readers know, that I just received my second trial vaccine "Adenovirus Serotype 5 Vector (Ad5) HIV Type 1 gag Vaccine in Hiv 1 infected Individuals" I am very exited about this vaccine and I am sure it will be a part of the solution to find and live a normal,healthy life very soon for just everyone. So please worried well, we poz are not going to drop dead tomorrow. We are here to stay and collect our social security too!! New York Jack

Hello HW,

Yes, I just got back from Seattle and the Retrovirus Conference. Am I still optimistic? Hell yes! As you may know, I am an immunologist by training and much of the work now is focusing on immune-based therapies. In my opinion, this is essential. We have drugs that suppress the virus, but we need to harness the power of our own immune systems to really control and perhaps conquer this virus. There were hundreds and hundreds of presentations given at the conference. Most were much too complex to report in the media. Lots of promising reports on various new drugs or better formulations of older drugs - Emtricitabine, TMC 125, tenofovir, atazanavir, tipranavir, etc. I can't go into detail here, but check the conference coverage on this website for more information about these products. How long does it take to get them approved by the FDA? Well, that all depends on how many problems are encountered along the way. Five to seven years is a reasonable (optimistic?) guess if all goes smoothly from development to clinical trials to final FDA approval.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello New York Jack,

Welcome back to the forum! Best of luck with the Ad5 Vaccine. By your willingness to participate in these trials, you are "part of the solution to find and live a normal, healthy life very soon for just everyone." As Fox Mulder on the X-Files always said, "The truth is out there." N.Y. Jack, I'm delighted you are doing well. After all, "if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere." Gosh, from Fox Mulder to Lisa Minnelli all in one response!

Stay well, Jack.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Another Woohoo
Next
A note to you from the Not So Desperate Mom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.