One more reason to be optimistic!

Hello Dr. Rob Just wanted to let you and all other readers know, that I just received my second trial vaccine "Adenovirus Serotype 5 Vector (Ad5) HIV Type 1 gag Vaccine in Hiv 1 infected Individuals" I am very exited about this vaccine and I am sure it will be a part of the solution to find and live a normal,healthy life very soon for just everyone. So please worried well, we poz are not going to drop dead tomorrow. We are here to stay and collect our social security too!! New York Jack

Hello HW,

Yes, I just got back from Seattle and the Retrovirus Conference. Am I still optimistic? Hell yes! As you may know, I am an immunologist by training and much of the work now is focusing on immune-based therapies. In my opinion, this is essential. We have drugs that suppress the virus, but we need to harness the power of our own immune systems to really control and perhaps conquer this virus. There were hundreds and hundreds of presentations given at the conference. Most were much too complex to report in the media. Lots of promising reports on various new drugs or better formulations of older drugs - Emtricitabine, TMC 125, tenofovir, atazanavir, tipranavir, etc. I can't go into detail here, but check the conference coverage on this website for more information about these products. How long does it take to get them approved by the FDA? Well, that all depends on how many problems are encountered along the way. Five to seven years is a reasonable (optimistic?) guess if all goes smoothly from development to clinical trials to final FDA approval.

Hello New York Jack,

Welcome back to the forum! Best of luck with the Ad5 Vaccine. By your willingness to participate in these trials, you are "part of the solution to find and live a normal, healthy life very soon for just everyone." As Fox Mulder on the X-Files always said, "The truth is out there." N.Y. Jack, I'm delighted you are doing well. After all, "if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere." Gosh, from Fox Mulder to Lisa Minnelli all in one response!

Stay well, Jack.

Another Woohoo
A note to you from the Not So Desperate Mom