I'm scared and at the end of my rope...

Hey Dr. Frascino, I have had unprotected sex with two females in the past six months. The first was a one night stand with a girl I am an acquintance with. After I had sex with her I had a pain in my urethra and a little pain while urinating. I went to the doctor a week later and she tested me for basic STD's chlymidia...etc. They came out negative. I did not get tested for HIV. Recently, starting in December I have had unprotected sex with another girl four times and protected once. After the third time we had sex I had the same burning sensation which eventually resolved after drinking a lot of Cranberry Juice. Also after the third time, that morning I noticed tiny red scabs and flaking skin on my penis. They eventually resolved with hydrocortisone. I have been going crazy thinking I have been infected with HIV. I have had other strange symptoms over the last three months including two bouts of soaking nightsweats.(might be because of stress) Also, about three weeks ago I was very dizzy. The dizziness lasted for three weeks, and eventually resolved. Strangely enough I also have had petechiae pop up. There are four on my chest that are exactly spaced across from each other. One on my shoulder, another on my neck, and another on my hip. I went to the Dr. and explained that I have been dizzy and showed them my petechiae. They agreed it was petechiae and didn't pay attention to my dizziness. They said it wasn't serious, but said if it continued with a fever to call them. I don't have a fever, but they won't go away. They have been here for more than a month. They gave me a basic blood test and said everything looked fine. They also siad that they did not do HIV testing, and said the petechiae would not be because of HIV. I'm thinking the virus is spreading slowly that is why all these strange symptoms are poping up. Dr. I'm losing my mind. I am so scared to get an HIV test. The second girl I was seeing is always coughing etc. I am just friends with her know because I am so scared to have sex. I know I should have protected sex, I have before the last to girls, and I have had a HIV test in June of 2000, and it came out negative. I'm sure I have HIV. I'm drivnig my Mother crazy telling her I think I have HIV. I'm losing this battle Dr. I'm too scared to even leave the house and hang out with my friends. I keep thinking I'm gonna die. I know this is for fatigue and anemia, but I really like your personality and want some advice. Thanks Dr. and God bless you...scared in Buffalo...

Hello Scared in Buffalo,

I was born in Rochester, just a few throughway stops from Buffalo. The only thing that should scare you about leaving the house is the possibility of getting stuck in a snowdrift!

OK, you should have used a condom every time. On that, we both agree. Your symptoms, however, are not suggestive of HIV. The only battle you are losing is the one with your guilt and anxiety! What you really need now is some help in coping with your irrational fears and guilt. Counseling and or medications may be beneficial in helping you get a handle on this. Don't be too frightened to get the HIV test. Your risk is relatively low and your symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. Trust me on this, OK? Would someone from Rochester lie to you?

Now, turn off the computer, call your doctor, and ask for a referral for counseling. Then, give your mom a kiss and put on your scarf and gloves and go shovel the snow off the driveway. Once the driveway is clear, you can back the car out and go to the drug store and pick up a supply of condoms, which you'll use each and every time you have sex, right?

Stay well, Buffalo! God bless you too!

Anemia and esr
Fatigue and Low Sex Drive