Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anemia and esr
Mar 5, 2002

Hello, I have just a quick question for you about HIV. I recently went for a CBC and ESR after a possible exposure 6.5 years ago and my esr was 4 (I am a female) which my doctor said was extremely low. My doctor told me not to worry about hiv because my esr would be higher and I would be anemic by now. Is this true?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Well, not exactly. I don't know what type of "possible exposure" you had 6.5 years ago, but since it was only a "possible" exposure, I'm guessing your risk was probably fairly low. ESRs are a nonspecific test for inflammation and cannot be used to suggest, or reassure against, HIV. Anemia, although fairly common in HIV disease, certainly is not universal at 6.5 years. Anemia, likewise, cannot be used to rule in or rule out HIV disease. The only thing that can do that is an HIV test.

Check in with our Safe Sex/HIV Prevention expert forum. If your risk 6.5 years ago was significant and you are concerned, get an HIV test. My guess is it will be negative. Stay well, and don't get mad at your doctor. I'm sure he/she was just trying to reassure you that your risk was so low that you may not even need testing.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Peg-Intron and Procrit
Next
I'm scared and at the end of my rope...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.