worried sick

help im so worried, i have never been worried before about hiv, always donated blood, etc, but about three months ago i had some blood work done and my wbc count was elevated, 21 as opposed to a 16 which is relitively normal. i had unprotected sex with a guy who is also a blood donor, but i m just so worried, i gave blood about a month after sex with him, not even thinking about it. i read that the test they do at the donations centers are very extensive. now, i am experiencing side effects. im not sure if they are related to stress-new job, marriage next year, moved to the city, or if its related to hiv ???? so what im asking is a elavated wbc a sign of hiv???? i always thought they'd do down in that situtation??? help, im worried sck!!!!

Hello worried "Sck,"

HIV cannot be diagnosed by looking at the WBC. It can only be diagnosed with a specific HIV test. That said, I can tell you that in general, WBC counts go up with bacterial infections and down with viral infections.

Yes, the blood bank would have tested your blood for HIV when you donated.

Your symptoms are most likely related to stress and anxiety. If you are really worried and it's been 3 months or more since your encounter with the blood donating sex partner, then get tested specifically for HIV.

How are you going to cope with your move to the city, a new job, and planning that wedding next year, if you're so fixated on HIV? I would guess you are not "sck" other than being stressed out; however, if you've had a significant exposure, get tested. And don't forget to carry some condoms at all times. You never know whom you'll meet in the next chair at the blood donation center!

Stay well.

I'm tired of being tired
Anemia in women