You Rock!

Dear Dr. Bob-

I am in awe of the humor and realistic approach you bring to this forum..you make me smile and that is not an eay thing to do. You are an inspiration in your story.

I am obsessed with having HIV and cannot bring myself to have a test...My story is that I am 41 straight male and have had my fair share of experiences. All of them have been heterosexual vaginal intercourse and ALWAYS with a condom..no breakage or failures..Many of them were one time things..and I am ashamed and saddened by that, but extreme loneliness, low self esteem, guilt and isolation will do that to you..a human needs to be touched and held. OK, so that being said have I put myself at high risk? I have called the CDC, as well as any hotline I could and then have spent days searching the web and went to see an Infectious Disease Spec. and they all say my risk is about as low as you can get...

I hope to hear from you...

OCD in Philly-

Dear ODC in Philly,

So what's wrong with a one-night stand? So long as both of you enjoyed yourselves and you played safe, it's nothing to be ashamed about or saddened by. How are you going to find Mrs. Right if you never go shopping?

Why would you think you were at high risk? You can't catch HIV in the US mail, off The Internet, or through a latex condom. So, if you used a latex condom every time and there was no breakage and no failures, then there is no problem. I'm willing to bet the infectious diseases specialist, the CDC, and all the hotlines you called told you the same thing. ODC, if you won't believe the CDC, then believe me: You are indeed a worried well with equal emphasis on worried and well! You really have no reason to be tested, but if you can't seem to stop "obsessing" and "compulsing" about this, then get tested. I agree with all your previous expert opinions: Your risk is about as low as you can get, unless of course you are Mother Theresa. OCD, get OTI (Off The Internet) and start enjoying your life. Mrs. Right won't wait forever!

Stay well.

Side effects of meds
Worried to WOOOHOOOING!