CBC

Dr. Frascino,

I had a possible exposure in March, 2000. Had a lot of symptoms I associated with ARS (disseminated fungal, night sweats, low grade fever, weight loss, swollen and sore lymph glands) from mid-April through mid-June. I had CBCs done in July and December. RBC decreased from 6.2 to 4.03, hematocrit from 45 to 39, platelets from 200 to 190 and WBC increased from 6.9 to 7.2.

I have had 3 HIV 1 tests and 3 HIV 1 and 2 tests along with 2 viral load tests (most recent HIV 1 and 2 and viral load at 8 months). All were negative and undetectable. Also, CD4 2 weeks ago was 953. My doctor feels I don't have HIV based on HIV test results. She also said that changes in bloodwork don't usually occur so soon. She believes that changes in CBC are caused by something else.

(1) In your experience, is it typical to see this much of a drop 9 months following exposure?

You have had multiple rounds of HIV antibody testing and viral load tests which are all negative. If you have had no new exposures, either sexually, or through needles or blood products, it is probably time to stop worrying about HIV.

Symptom complexes of fever, swollen lymph nodes weight loss, and fatigue etc. are very non-specific and can be very frustrating to try and solve. They can be caused by a variety of conditions including non-HIV viral illnesses. You should have these symptoms checked out thoroughly, however, your tests are reassuring about not having HIV.

Your blood tests do not indicate significant anemia. The hematocrit can vary from 39-56 in many labs. This is all in the range of normal. If your count continues to drop on subsequent tests tend you may indeed have a problem. Your platelet count is also in the normal range (usually 140-450) as is your white blood cell count (usually 4.0-10.8)

So if your symptoms have resolved you have nothing to worry about as all your tests are within the range of normal. If your symptoms are persisting you should see your doctor for an examination and to see if there is a trend out of the normal range on your lab work.

For now I think you can relax. Good luck.

RJF

Do Bi Polar & HIV infection = Higher chance of Fatigue
Depression = Fatigue: I think not