Amazing!

This is just a personal comment and you don't need to respond if you don't want to. I read you column mostly because of your sense of humor and firm grip on reality. You are truly to be commended for the work you do here. Not only are you providing solid advice but you are also boosting spirits with each response and I believe attitude can make or break a person with this disease. I contracted through an unlikely situation as well and it took a long time for me to get over being pissed off and decide that I was going to live until I die and not just lay down and die because someone told me to. You are an inspiration. We get so caught up in our own worlds sometimes that we forget to say thank you...so thank you! Pam

Hello Pam,

You, my dear, are the inspiration! Deciding to "live until I die and not just lay down and die because someone told me to" is the key to successfully coping with any serious illnesses. All of us who are HIV-positive certainly understand the challenges of taking fistfuls of medication, coping with unanticipated and often bizarre side effects, fighting off opportunistic infections, and dealing with a society that is unjustly judgmental, irrationally fearful, and at times unbelievably hurtful. In spite of all that, life - even a challenging life - is such an amazing gift. Sunsets, the embrace of a friend or lover, the adoring eyes of my pet pooch, the sound of music . . . .Liza Minnelli was right: Life is a cabaret old chum, come to the cabaret!

Thanks, Pam. Consider yourself hugged.

Anemia / Procrit
energy boost