Drinking HIV

Dr.Frascino,

There was this bizarre incident that I am concerned about. About 3 weeks ago, I drank froma cup which for some reason I suspected that may have been contaminated with HIV. The person who prepared the drink had something on his hands and may have gotten HIV into my drink but I still stupidly went on to consume the drink. I ha some bleeding gums at that point of time too, which could mean that HIV and an entry point to my bloodstream. What is really upsetting is that just yesterday, I woke up feeling achy all over, with neck pains and headaches and I felt feverish all over, although I didn't think that I had a fever. I also had a mildly inflamed throat a few days back. However, with the exception of the sore throat, the other symptoms cleared up totally within a day. Can ARS last just one day? I have read that these symptoms and the timing of their onset are consistent with HIV acute retroviral syndrome and now I am freaking out! I know I shouldn't be asking this hear, but I just can't seem to get any answer to this fearsome query of mind anywhere. Can you help please?

"Fearsome query of MIND," is indeed correct!

Slipping HIV into your drink??? You've been watching too many old James Bond movies. HIV is not a sleeping pill and there has never been a case of transmission by this method that I'm aware of.

Your transient 1-day symptoms are not suggestive of ARS. You may be freaking out, but you don't have HIV from this "bizarre incident." So relax and maybe think about changing the pub or bar at which you've been hanging out!

Stay well.

no cd4 test available in the town
Dr. Bob: WooHoo, and a message to all the worried wells!!!