Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer. what do i have
Jan 31, 2002

Hello Doc looks like no one is interested in my question, i hope u might help me out. please answer this. Well my case is that I had unprotected sex with a lady, I was with for 6 months. After my first exposure to her I have been experiencing different symptoms that make me think that I have some kind of infection going on. After 4-5 days of fist exposure I developed tiny red dots in my groin area, these dots vanished on its own after 4 days or so. She told me it was because we did not use lubrication, which I found hard to believe. I had running stomach twice.. And it was really bad. 5 months after exposure I developed thrush, well I went to doctor and he told me that I have thrush, at this point I asked her to get tested for HIV, which came out negative. I too tested negative after 7 months, through home based testing kit (FDA approved). After all this and medication (one dose of diflucan) I still have my thrush. I am all confused now. Please help me.. I really do not know what is going on here. Another thing, during this period of time I had 2 root canals done. I was on amoxicilin, but I had to stop as it made me really sick, I smoke regularly. I do not know at this junction what kind of infection do I have is it HIV of some different kind that is going undetected Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

What is a "running stomach?" Do you have a "jogging bellybutton," too? No matter. Unprotected sex is indeed a risk; however, only if one of you is HIV-positive. And since you have both tested negative 7 months after the exposure, your symptoms are not from HIV. The thrush is most likely from your use of antibiotics for your 2 root canals. Antibiotics kill bacteria and can allow normal fungal organisms like thrush to "overgrow." It should go away with the Diflucan and with finishing your antibiotics.

At this point, the only health risk I see for you is smoking! I recommend you quit. Second, your partner is right: "Lubrication is your friend." It does not protect form HIV or STDs, but it sure makes things feel better.

So:

1. Practice safe sex. 2. Use lubricants. 3. Stop smoking. 4. Stop worrying about your non-existent chances of having HIV. Two negatives never make a positive.

Stay well.

Previous
Mr FATIGUE AND ANEMIA WHERE ARE YOU
Next
cause of anaemia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.